Major Lindgren Instructor Education Grants
TDF is proud to offer $12,000 in annual grants in Major Lindgren's name, funded through the Carol Lavell Gifted Memorial Fund.
Three $4,000 grants will be awarded each year to dressage instructors to train in a concentrated amount of time of at least one week. Applicants are not required to be USDF Certified Instructors, however, preference will be given to USDF Certified Instructors.
- Applicant must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Funding cannot be used for competition entries, vet and/or farrier expenses, or the purchase of a horse or equipment. Funding must be used for the event/training specified in the grant application.
- An instructor may receive the Lindgren Grant one time.
- The recipients of the grants are required to provide a written training and financial report of their experience to TDF. Suggestions for the written report will be furnished to the recipients. The report is due within two months following the completion of the training.
- The recipients of these grants must use the funds within two years of the date of the award.
- For all recipients, 75% of grant funds will be paid prior to the recipient’s departure for training; 25% will be paid after the applicant has completed training, and has submitted a training and financial report to TDF.
- The committee reserves the right to not award a grant in any given year if they determine that no candidate has met the criteria. Funds would then be held until the following year. The applications and discussions of the selection committee are confidential and their decisions are final.
- If the grant recipient is unable to attend the specified event/training, TDF must be notified as soon as possible. Approval for a change in the use of funds is at the discretion of TDF and the grant Selection Committee.
A Selection Committee of dressage professionals reviews all application information, and recommends the recipients to TDF Board of Directors. We will notify all applicants of the Committee's decision no later than December 31st of each year, and the funds will be available to the recipients after January 1st. Complete applications MUST arrive in our office on or before September 30th of each year. We will not accept any material after this deadline.
The link to the online application form can be found in the right-hand sidebar (desktop computers) or by scrolling down (mobile).
About Major Lindgren:
Major Anders Lindgren was an accomplished dressage rider, having won the 1971 Swedish Dressage Championship and ridden on the Swedish Olympic Team in 1972. He also won the Scandinavian Eventing Championship in 1959. Lindgren's contribution to American dressage was large, as he was solidly committed to the education of US Dressage instructors. Over a ten-year period, almost 1,000 participating instructors learned from his systematic, structural approach to teaching dressage at the USDF/Violet Hopkins National Seminars for Dressage Instructors, and then at the National Symposium. Major Lindgren passed away in 2010, at the age of 85.